MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Russia including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of a Russian design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of changes, assignments, and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of an industrial design patent in Russia is 25 years* from the filing date, i.e. 5 terms for 5 years each.
Novelty grace period is 12 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing an application.
The industrial design application in Russia may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Russia:
The substantive examination of the Russian industrial design application should be requested simultaneously with filing of the application. After completion of the filing procedure the application undergoes the formal examination within 6 months from the filing date. On condition that the application meets the formal requirements the application undergoes the substantive examination. On condition that the industrial design meets the requirements of patentability a decision to grant a patent is issued. If the grant fee and the first post grant annuities (for the 5-year period of patent validity) are paid the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Russia usually takes from 1 to 1,5 years.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Russian patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Russia we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Russian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Russian Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Russia claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Russia or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Russian design application please contact us.