MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Kazakhstan including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of a Kazakh design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of changes, assignments, and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of an industrial design patent in Kazakhstan is 20 years from the filing date, i.e. 15-year basic term which may be renewed for 5 additional years.
Novelty grace period is 6 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application.
The industrial design application in Kazakhstan may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Kazakhstan:
After completion of filing procedure the Kazakh design application undergoes the formal examination. Substantive examination should be requested within 3 months from the date of issuance of the Notification about completion of the formal examination. On condition that the application meets the requirements of patentability of the industrial design a decision to grant a patent is issued. After payment of the grant and publication fees as well as first post grant annuities the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Kazakhstan usually takes from 1 to 1,5 years.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Kazakh patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Kazakhstan we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Kazakh Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Kazakh Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Kazakhstan claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Kazakhstan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Kazakh design application please contact us.