MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Uzbekistan including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of a Uzbek design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The initial period of protection of the industrial design patent in Uzbekistan is 5 years counting from the filing date, renewable for five year periods up to a total possible term of 15 years.
Novelty grace period is 6 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application.
The industrial design application in Uzbekistan may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Uzbekistan:
After completion of filing procedure the Uzbek design application undergoes the formal examination. On condition that the applicant submits all required documents, the Official Notification about positive result of the formal examination is issued. The substantive examination should be requested within 3 months from the date of issuance of the above-indicated Notification. Then the application undergoes the substantive examination within 1 year. On condition that the design meets the requirements of patentability a decision to grant a patent is issued. If the grant and publication fees as well as the first post grant annuities are paid the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Uzbekistan usually takes from 1 to 1,5 years.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Uzbek patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Uzbekistan we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Uzbek Patent Office simultaneously with filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Uzbek Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Uzbekistan claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Uzbekistan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Uzbek design application please contact us.