MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to utility model registration in Ukraine including patent search, translation of an application, filing and further prosecution of the Ukrainian utility model application, patent maintenance, preparing and recordal of changes, assignments, and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The term of protection of a Utility Model in Ukraine is 10 years from the date of filing.
Novelty grace period is 6 months from disclosure of the information on utility model before filing an application or priority date thereof, if priority is claimed.
According to the Ukrainian legislation, the application for a utility model should relate to one utility model. In contrast, the patent application for invention may relate to one invention or a group of inventions, united by the single inventive idea. The object of the utility model application may be only a device or a process (method).
Overview of the Utility Model registration procedure in Ukraine:
After completion of filing procedure the Ukrainian utility model application undergoes the formal examination within 2-3 months. On condition that the applicant submits all required documents, the grant decision is issued. The stage of the substantive examination is absent for the utility model in Ukraine. After payment of the registration and publication fees the patent is issued. Term for payment of the prescribed fees is 3 months from the date of receipt of the decision.
The procedure of the utility model registration in Ukraine takes about 1 year.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Ukrainian patent attorney.
For filing a utility model application in Ukraine we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and inventor's names, addresses and citizenships;
- filing number and date of priority application or PCT application;
- specification with claims, abstract and drawings;
- Power of Attorney simply signed and stamped by the applicant(s), besides, date and place of execution should be indicated. Legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Ukrainian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- for conventional applications - a certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Ukrainian Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a utility model application claiming priority in Ukraine is 12 months from the priority date. The term for entering the Ukrainian national phase of a PCT application as utility model is 31 months from the priority date.
For more information about registration of the utility model in Ukraine or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Ukrainian utility model application please contact us.