MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Armenia including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Armenia:
After the completion of filing, the Official Notification of the receipt of the Application is issued within 2-3 months, and the Armenian trademark application undergoes formal examination. On condition that the trademark meets the filing requirements, it is published in the Official Bulletin. The substantive examination is conducted within a three-month period from the publication date. In absence of opposition and on condition that the trademark meets the requirements of protectability the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee, the certificate of registration is issued within 3 months.
The online trademark search is available on our website in order to determine whether there are any similar or identical trademarks registered or filed with the Armenian Trademark Office (Intellectual Property Agency Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Armenia).
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Armenia takes from 9 to 10 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Armenian trademark attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Armenia we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is claimed (may be filed to the Armenian Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed and stamped Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Armenian Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration:
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to Court. The grace period is 5 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Armenia is valid for 10 years from the filing date and can be further renewed every 10 years. In Armenia it is possible to apply for a trademark renewal within 12 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark is not possible.
1. Signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
2. Original Certificate of Registration (not obligatory). In case of submission of the original Certificate of Registration the information confirming the renewal will be reflected in the Certificate. In case the original Certificate of Registration is not submitted, the Trademark Office will issue a Notification confirming the renewal.
For more information about trademark registration in Armenia or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Armenian trademark application please contact us.