MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Kyrgyzstan including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Kyrgyzstan:
After the completion of filing, the Kyrgyz trademark application undergoes formal examination within 4 months. Substantive examination is conducted within 9-10 months. After completion of the substantive examination the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 2-3 months.
The online trademark search is available on our website in order to determine whether there are any similar or identical trademarks registered or filed with the Kyrgyzpatent (State Service of Intellectual Property and Innovation under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic).
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Kyrgyzstan takes from 14 to 17 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Kyrgyz trademark attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Kyrgyzstan we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Kyrgyz Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Kyrgyz Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
Non-official opposition at the stage of trademark examination in Kyrgyzstan may be filed only in respect of International Registrations, in the form of informational letter containing arguments against providing protection to the mark. These arguments are taken into account in the frame of trademark examination at the discretion of the examiner.
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration:
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within 5 years from publication;
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to Court. The grace period is 3 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Kyrgyzstan is valid for 10 years from the date of filing and can be further renewed every 10 years. In Kyrgyzstan it is possible to apply for a renewal within 12 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment of a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark (after expiration of a grace period) is not possible.
Required documents: signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
For more information about trademark registration in Kyrgyzstan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Kyrgyz trademark application please contact us.