MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Tajikistan including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Tajikistan:
After the completion of filing, the official notification of the receipt of the Tajik trademark application is issued within 2-4 months. Then the Tajik trademark application undergoes substantive examination for about 11-13 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of patentability the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 3-4 months.
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Tajikistan takes from 16 to 25 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Tajik trademark attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Tajikistan we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Tajik Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Tajik Trademark Office simultaneously with filing application).
Non-official oppositions against application may be filed during the whole term of examination before issuance of the decision, in the form of informational letter containing arguments against registration of the mark. These arguments are taken into account in the frame of trademark examination at the discretion of the examiner.
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration:
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within 5 years from publication;
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to the Appeal Board. The grace period is 3 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Tajikistan is valid for 10 years from the date of filing and can be further renewed every 10 years. In Tajikistan it is possible to apply for a renewal earlier, i.e. within 12 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment of a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark (after grace period expiration) is not possible.
Required documents: signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
For more information about trademark registration in Tajikistan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Tajik trademark application please contact us.