MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Azerbaijan including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of an Azerbaijani design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of a industrial design patent in Azerbaijan is 15 years from the filing date, i.e. 10-year basic term which may be renewed for 5 additional years.
Novelty grace period is 6 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application.
The industrial design application in Azerbaijan may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Azerbaijan:
After completion of filing procedure the Azerbaijani industrial design application undergoes the formal examination. If the application meets the formal requirements, a decision to grant a patent on the industrial design is issued. The substantive examination in Azerbaijan is conducted at the optional request of the applicant, which may be filed within 18 months from the date of filing the design application. Alternatively the patent will be issued at the applicant's responsibility. In case no opposition is filed from the third parties within 6 month from the publication of the application, the grant fee should be paid. The patent on industrial design is issued within 7 months after payment of the grant, publication fees and the first post grant annuities.
The procedure of the design registration in Azerbaijan usually takes about 12 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Azerbaijani patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Azerbaijan we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed by the applicant(s) and legalized by the company seal, alternatively notarization of the POA is required (may be submitted to the Azerbaijani Patent Office within 2 months from the date of filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Azerbaijani Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Azerbaijan claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Azerbaijan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Azerbaijani design application please contact us.