MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Georgia (Sakartvelo) including design search, filing and further prosecution of a Georgian design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of an industrial design patent in Georgia (Sakartvelo) is 25 years, i.e. 5 terms for 5 years each.
Novelty grace period is 12 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application or priority date thereof, if priority is claimed.
An industrial design application in Georgia may cover several industrial designs, provided that they belong to a single class of the International Classification.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Georgia:
After completion of filing procedure the Georgian design application undergoes formal examination within 2 months. Within 2 months from the completion of the formal examination the substantive examination should be requested. If the application meets the requirements of patentability, the decision to grant a patent is issued. After payment of the registration fees the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Georgia usually takes from 1 to 1,5 years.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Georgian patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Georgia we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Assignment Deed from the author to the applicant in case the author and the applicant are not the same persons (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 3 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Georgia claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Georgia or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Georgian design application please contact us.