MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to utility model registration in Georgia including patent search, translation of an application, filing and further prosecution of the Georgian utility model application, patent maintenance, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The term of protection of a Utility Model in Georgia is 10 years from the filing date.
Novelty grace period is 12 months from disclosure of the information on utility model before filing the application or priority date thereof, if priority is claimed.
According to the Georgian legislation, the object of the utility model application may be the same as the object of the invention application, namely a product (device, process, substance, strain of microorganisms, animals and plants cell culture) and a process/method. However, the application for a utility model must relate to one utility model, i.e. have one independent claim.
Overview of the Utility Model registration procedure in Georgia:
After completion of filing procedure the Georgian utility model application undergoes the formal examination within 2 months from the filing date. If an application for utility model meets the formal requirements, the examination as to the novelty is carried out within a month. If the application for utility model in Georgia corresponds to the requirements of the examination as to the novelty, inventive step and industrial applicability the decision on granting a patent for utility model is issued. If the registration and publication fees as well as the first post grant annuities are paid, the data is published in the Official Bulletin and the patent is issued. Term for payment of the prescribed fees is 1 month from the date of issue of the Decision to Grant the Patent.
The procedure of the utility model registration in Georgia takes about 1 year.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Georgian patent attorney.
For filing a utility model application in Georgia we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and inventor's names, addresses and citizenships;
- filing number and date of priority application or PCT application;
- specification with claims, abstract and drawings;
- Power of Attorney simply signed and stamped by the applicant(s), legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- for conventional applications - Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 16 months from the date of priority);
- Assignment Deed from the inventor to the applicant if they are not the same person, notarization and legalization are not required (may be provided to the Georgian Patent Office within 2 months from the date of filing the application).
The term for filing a utility model application claiming priority in Georgia is 12 months from the priority date. The term for entering the Georgian national phase of a PCT application as utility model is 31 months from the priority date.
For more information about registration of the utility model in Georgia or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Georgian utility model application please contact us.