MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to industrial design registration in Turkmenistan including design search, drafting the specification, filing and further prosecution of a Turkmen design application, maintenance of an industrial design patent in force, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The maximum validity term of an industrial design patent in Turkmenistan is 15 years.
Novelty grace period is 6 months from disclosure of the information on industrial design before filing the application.
The industrial design application in Turkmenistan may include several designs (variants) in one multiple industrial design application if the designs concern the same object or may be identified as a kit of goods and have a single design concept.
Overview of the industrial design registration procedure in Turkmenistan:
After completion of filing procedure the Turkmen design application undergoes the formal examination within 3 months and Limited examination within 6 months.
The applicant is invited to choose what kind of patent he wishes to obtain:
- the Limited patent (valid for ten years),
- or the Patent (valid for fifteen years).
After limited examination the decision of possibility to grant a Limited patent is issued. For obtainment of the Patent (valid for fifteen years) the applicant should file the request for suspension of issue of the Limited patent. Otherwise the Decision to grant the Limited patent will be issued. The substantive examination should be requested within five years from the filing date. Besides, the applicant should submit a copy of a patent or decision to grant a patent for the parallel design application in any country, in which the substantive examination is carried out by the Patent Office with consideration of international novelty. After payment of grant fee the patent is issued.
The procedure of the design registration in Turkmenistan usually takes from 6 to 12 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Turkmen patent attorney.
For filing a industrial design application in Turkmenistan we need:
- your filing instructions with applicant's and author's names, addresses and citizenships;
- figures (photographs, photocopies or files) with the general view of the design and, if possible, front, top, side, back and bottom views of the design;
- list of the essential features of the design, if available;
- Power of Attorney signed and stamped by the applicant, legalization and notarization are not required (may be provided to the Turkmen Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application);
- Certified copy of the priority document, if priority is claimed (may be provided to the Turkmen Patent Office within 2 months from filing the application).
The term for filing a design application in Turkmenistan claiming conventional priority is 6 months from the priority date.
For more information about industrial design registration in Turkmenistan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Turkmen design application please contact us.