MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Turkmenistan including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Turkmenistan:
After the completion of filing, the official notification of the receipt of the application is issued within 3-4 months. Then the Turkmen trademark application undergoes substantive examination for about 20-21 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of protectability the grant decision is issued. After payment of the registration fee the certificate of registration is issued within 3-4 months.
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Turkmenistan takes from 26 to 29 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Turkmen trademark attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Turkmenistan we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Turkmen Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Turkmen Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
Opposition period against trademark application in Turkmenistan may be filed within the whole term of examination, provided that official fee is paid.
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration:
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within 5 years from registration;
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to the Appeal Board within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to the Appeal Board. The grace period is 3 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Turkmenistan is valid for 10 years from the filing date (for trademarks filed on or after 5.11.2008) and 10 years from the date of registration (for trademarks filed before 5.11.2008).
The trademark validity term can be further renewed every 10 years. In Turkmenistan it is possible to apply for a renewal within 12 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment of a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark (after grace period expiration) is not possible.
Required documents: signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
For more information about trademark registration in Turkmenistan or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Turkmen trademark application please contact us.