MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Latvia including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Latvia:
After the completion of filing, the official notification of the receipt of the Latvian trademark application is issued within 4-5 months. Within a period of 4-5 months after the official notification, in accordance with the results of the formal examination, the grant decision is issued. If the decision is positive, the applicant is invited to pay the registration and publication fees. Then the trademark is registered in the State Register of Trademarks, published in the official bulletin and the registration certificate is issued. Within 3 months from the date of publication of the trademark any person may file an opposition against the registration of a trademark.
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Latvia takes from 10 to 14 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Latvian trademark attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Latvia we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Latvian Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed Power of Attorney, legalization and notarization are not required (may be filed to the Latvian Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
Opposition against trademark application in Latvia may be filed for national applications within 3 months from the publication date; for International Registrations within 4 months from the publication date.
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration:
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to Court. The grace period is 5 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Latvia is valid for 10 years from the date of filing and can be further renewed every 10 years. In Latvia it is possible to apply for a trademark renewal within 12 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment of a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark (after expiration of a grace period) is not possible.
Required documents: signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
For more information about trademark registration in Latvia or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Latvian trademark application please contact us.