MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to patent registration in Latvia including patent search, patent translation, filing and further prosecution of the Latvian patent application, patent maintenance, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements as well as representing applicants before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
The validity term of a patent in Latvia is 20 years from the filing date. For pharmaceutical patents and patents for agrochemicals it is possible to apply for extension of this term for additional 5 years. In case a patent is extended the Supplementary Protection Certificate (SPC) will be issued.
A 6-month novelty grace period term is applied only if a disclosure takes place at the international exhibition or by third parties in bad faith.
Overview of the patent registration procedure in Latvia:
After completion of the filing procedure a Latvian patent application undergoes a formal examination. On condition that an applicant submits all required documents, a notification about positive result of the formal examination will be issued. No substantive examination on inventions is stipulated by the Latvian legislation, a patent is issued on the responsibility of an applicant and may be appealed in court. A patent is issued after payment of the registration and publication fees.
The procedure of the patent registration in Latvia takes from 1,5 to 2 years.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Latvian patent attorney.
What is required for filing a patent application in Latvia:
- filing instructions comprising applicant's and inventor's names, addresses and citizenships;
- a filing number and a date of a priority application or a PCT application;
- a specification with claims, abstract and drawings;
- a copy of the amendments, if any;
- a Power of Attorney simply signed and stamped by the applicant(s); legalization and notarization are not required unless it is signed by a proxy-holder. The executed PoA may be provided to the Latvian Patent Office within 3 months from the application filing date;
- a certified copy of a priority document if priority is claimed, which may be provided to the Latvian Patent Office within 16 months from the date of priority.
The term for filing a patent application in Latvia is 12 months from the priority date.
Obtaining patent protection in Latvia by entering the national phase of a PCT application is not possible.
If you need further information concerning patent registration in Latvia or quotation for filing and prosecuting of a Latvian patent application please feel free to contact us.