MIKHAILYUK, SOROKOLAT & PARTNERS offers the full range of legal services related to trademark registration in Moldova including trademark search, registration, renewal of a trademark certificate, preparing and recordal of assignment and license agreements, recordal of changes as well as representing clients before courts. We do our best to represent our clients' interests in the most efficient and cost-effective manner.
Overview of the trademark registration procedure in Moldova:
After the completion of filing, the Moldavian trademark application undergoes formal examination within 1 month. Then the substantive examination is conducted within 9-10 months. On condition that the trademark meets the requirements of patentability the grant decision is issued and the application is published within 3 months from the grant decision date. In absence of opposition or if the opposition was rejected the trademark is registered and certificate of registration is issued within 3 months.
The online trademark search is available on our website in order to determine whether there are any similar or identical trademarks registered or filed with the Moldavian Trademark Office (Government of the Republic of Moldova - State Agency for Intellectual Property).
The entire procedure of trademark registration in Moldova takes from 14 to 16 months.
Foreign applicants must be represented before the Office by a registered Moldavian patent attorney.
For filing a trademark application in Moldova we need:
- Name and address of the applicant;
- Prints of the trademark;
- List of goods and/or services in accordance with the international classification;
- Certified copy of priority document if priority is to be claimed (may be filed to the Moldavian Trademark Office within three months from the filing date);
- Signed Power of Attorney. Legalization is not required (may be filed to the Moldavian Trademark Office within two months from the filing date).
Oppositions against trademark application in Moldova may be filed for national application within 3 months from the date of publication of an application; for International Registration within 6 months from the publication of the application. If no opposition was filed within the opposition period, and the decision about acceptance was issued, the protest against registration may be filed within 1 month from the acceptance date (should be monitored).
Grounds, institutions and terms for filing a cancellation after registration (issuance of the certificate):
1. Cancellation based on relative grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark
2. Cancellation based on absolute grounds may be filed to Court within the entire period of validity of the trademark;
3. Cancellation based on non-use may be filed to Court. The grace period is 5 years from registration.
Trademark validity and renewal:
A trademark in Moldova is valid for 10 years from the date of filing and can be further renewed every 10 years. In Moldova it is possible to apply for a trademark renewal within 6 months before the deadline. There is also a 6-month grace period which allows applying for a renewal after the deadline upon payment of a stipulated fine. Reinstatement of a lapsed trademark is possible within 1 year after last day of grace period upon payment of a stipulated fee and provision of a document confirming force majeure circumstances preventing to apply for renewal in due time.
Required documents: signed and stamped Power of Attorney.
For more information about trademark registration in Moldova or quotation for filing and prosecution of the Moldavian trademark application please contact us.